The following was sent to us by a Book Publishers Northwest member. If you decide to participate, let us know how the experience was.
Editor, BPNW News, bpnwnews at aol.com
The U.S. Commerce Department offers publishers the opportunity to exhibit at the Taipei International Book Fair (TIBE), which takes place February 9-14, 2011. TIBE is a key publishing trade event in the region, attracting thousands of publishers from Taiwan and Mainland China. The U.S. Commerce Department helps to match titles to interested publishers and distributors interested in purchasing U.S. rights and titles in Taiwan. This year, they are focusing on the following genres and are only seeking publishers with these types of titles: Education (K-12), Children’s Books, Language Learning, e-Books/digital content and Magazines (travel/fashion/lifestyle). They are only accepting electronic and hard copy catalogs, not books. All accepted catalogs will be placed on a DVD, which will be distributed to potential publishing partners.
By participating in the U.S. Pavilion catalog show, publishers will receive:
- Inclusion in the U.S. Pavilion electronic catalog DVD which will be distributed to selected publishers and potential buyers during TIBE
- Online promotion on the American Institute in Taiwan’s Commercial Section website
- Exhibitor listing in the TIBE show directory
- Press release introducing U.S. Pavilion participants to over 100 media outlets in Taiwan
- Post-show promotion which includes distributing hard copy catalogs to potential Taiwan buyers
- Post-show follow-up and trade leads provided to U.S. participants
- BONUS: Catalog show for U.S. Pavilion participants in Kaohsiung, Taiwan’s second largest city, this June. This event will include publishers, schools, libraries, language learning centers, bookstores and distributors.
Space is limited. Priority will be given to publishers within the selected genres. The deadline to register for this event is November 30 and catalogs must arrive in Taiwan by December 20.
To register, please visit https://www.buyusa.gov/taiwan/en/taipeibookfair_2011_reg_form.html and fill out the online registration form. If approved, publishers will need to email an electronic copy of their catalog and mail hard copies of catalog to Taiwan.
Interested in attending the Taipei Book Fair? The U.S. Commercial Service is also recruiting publishers to participate in our VIP Visitor Program. VIP visitors will attend the event and take advantage of one-on-one matchmaking and appointment scheduling service. Publishers will receive free entrance into the show and post-show support to help translate these meetings into sales. For more information please contact Dawn.Bruno@trade.gov.